[R] converting numeric to integer

Linlin Yan yanlinlin82 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 11:36:45 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Thomas Mang <Thomas.Mang at fiwi.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, also not quite.
> Suppose x = 5.00000000001 (in finite binary represenation). Then I want x ==
> 5, but that is of course an integer which is now less than the original
> numeral.
Sorry for that I haven't got what your mean exactly about the finite
binary representation, because my English is not very good. How much
is the difference of x and 5 when result must be 5?

> Your code would turn it into 6;  moreover, your code would still work on
> numeric-values, so once it gets to the interger-conversion we are back at
> where the problem started, namely at the issue of finite floating-point
> representations, which might, or might not, yield the desired integer after
> the decimal digits have been truncated.
>
> BTW, do you know why sometimes replys do not appear in the newsgroups ->
> mine to yours is not there, equally not your last response (althought the
> later might of course be the resuld because I made a mistak. in the first
> step....)
The reason our last replys did not appear in the newsgroup is that you
replied to me only rather than to the maillist addres
r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch.