[R] Memory size problems in R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat May 16 16:35:37 CEST 2009

Fernando José Nascimento Sebastião wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have some problems how to increase memory in R.
> I tried to start R by calling e.g. :(in the Properties, Shortcut tab, Target
> field)
>
> Rgui.exe --max-mem-size=2Gb  (Is this correct?....)
>
> But the error message still continue:
>
>> X<-princomp(MAT2D.AltGeop61.90)
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 445.4 Mb

Note, this just means that the next chunk to be allocated is 445.4 Mb,
it does not mean the amount will be sufficient for your problem .

>> memory.size()
> [1] 456.01
>> memory.limit()
> [1] 4095

That's strange, because you have not asked for 4Gb.
Do you have some other setting (perhaps in your startup code) that
increases memory size to 4Gb after you started R?

>> dim(MAT2D.AltGeop61.90)
> [1] 10957  5328
>
> I use R 2.9.0 in Windows XP, with 40 GB on the disk and 7 GB of RAM.

64-bit version of Windows XP, I guess?

> What can I do?

Use a 64-bit version of R [i.e. something on a LInux machine or perhaps
the recently available commercial 64-bit version for Windows] or
rephrase/-code your problem.

Uwe Ligges