[R] Importing data into R and combining 2 files

Sunita22 sunitap22 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:30:23 CEST 2009

Hello

I have to import 2 txt files into R. 1 file contains the data and the other
contains the header, column headings, datatypes and labels for the data.

I have 2 problems:

1) my data file has mixed type of data e.g. 1 2 3 4 5 3-5 02/04/06 3 4 5 and
so on, the data file is tab separated. when I import it, the data is getting
stored in one single variable say V1. I need to separate it into rows and
columns. how do I this? Which commands in R would be useful for the same?

2) The other file is also tab separated. the 6 lines contains header and
introduction as in the name of the dataset, year, etc. and then column names
its datatypes and labels. After importing the data in this file also gets
stored in one single variable. I need to separate it into rows and columns.
how do I this? Which commands in R would be useful for the same?

Thank you in advance

Regards
Sunita