[R] read multiple large files into one dataframe

Simon Pickett simon.pickett at bto.org
Wed May 13 16:37:30 CEST 2009

can you provide reproducible code please?

even a fake example would help.

I would

1) set up a loop to read in each file from a directory
2)  inside the loop chop up/ aggregate the data, each file in turn and spit
each new aggreagated file out to a directory using write.table(). This will
reduce the memory needed by only including the info you want. Make sure each
file is a data frame with the same names.
3) set up a new loop to read in each new small file and rbind them all
together to make your new "master file".

The R gurus may have a more parsimonious solution.

HTH

Simon.