[R] plotCI line types for line and for bar

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed May 13 04:48:31 CEST 2009

Anyone has some clue to this question?
Thanks in advance!

lehe wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering how to specify the line type for line instead of for bar.
> Here is my code:
> "plotCI(x=mcra1avg, uiw=stdev1, type="l",col=2,lty=2)"
> This way, I will have the bar line as dashed "lty=2" and red "col=2", and
> the line connecting the centers of the bars is also red "col=2" but solid
> "lty=1". How to make the line connecting the bar centers have the same
> solid lty as the bar?
> Thanks and regards!

  You neglected to say that you were using the plotCI from gplots (not the
one from plotrix, which has slightly different behaviors).  Here's my
solution (with some data made up -- you didn't give a reproducible example).
I assume that you meant above that you wanted the line connecting the
centers to be dashed?

mcra1avg <- 1:3
stdev1 <- c(0.2,0.1,0.4)
library(gplots)
plotCI(x=mcra1avg, uiw=stdev1, type="p",col=2,lty=2)
lines(mcra1avg,col=2,lty=2)

  By the way, it's not all uncommon to have to wait more than 12 hours for a
response on the R list -- the variability is very high ... I would say it's
generally good to wait at least 24 hours before "bumping" ...

  Ben Bolker