[R] Two-way Anova

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Tue May 12 19:53:53 CEST 2009

Using traditional ANOVA, you'd have to drop either cases or time
points with missing data. Using linear mixed effects analysis, you'd
be able to use all the data. LME also has the benefit of *not*
assuming sphericity, which is good for data like yours (many measures
across few cases) where the traditional ANOVA sphericity assumption is
unlikely to hold.

Your dependent variable, % valid, suggests that there's some more raw
representation of the data that may be better to look at. For example,
if % valid is derived from, say, the success/failure rate of 10
observations per sample/timepoint, you might want to take a look the
lme4 package (as suggested in a previous post:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2008q3/001160.html )