[R] What's the best way to tell a function about relevant fields in data frames

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:38:23 CEST 2009

Hi Zeljko,

thanks for your suggestion!

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:26:48PM +0200, Zeljko Vrba wrote:
> Why not simply rearrange your data frames to have standardized column names
> (see names() function), and write functions that operate on the standardized
> format?

Actually that's what I'm currently doing.  And if the code was only
for my personal use I would stick with this solution.  However, I want
to publish my stuff as a package and want to make its use as
convenient as possible for the users.  The drawbacks of the current
solution are: The users have to perform the additional processing step
and the users have to know the correct format of the data frame.

  Titus