[R] Plotting colors on a world map

dxc13 dxc13 at health.state.ny.us
Tue May 12 05:02:42 CEST 2009

So, this would allow me to assign a color to each of the 2592 rectangular
grid cells on a map of the world?  I guess I am having trouble finding a
suitable method of doing this.  Also, to be able to distinguish country
boundaries from the grid lines (which are both black color), could the grid
lines be transparent so that all we see is the map of the world in various
colors?
I was thinking that <10 degrees would be light blue, 10-30 degrees would be
blue, 31-40 be green, 41-50 be yellow, 51-60 be dark yellow, 61-70 be
orange, 71-80 be red, 81-90 be dark red.

Any help is appreciated in getting this task accomplished.  Thanks