[R] Do you use R for data manipulation?

Dimitri Liakhovitski ld7631 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 19:29:27 CEST 2009

I am not a statistician and not a computer scientist by education. I
consider myself an R novice and came to R - thanks to my boss - from
an SPSS background. I work for a market research company and the most
typical data files we deal with are not huge - up to several thousand
rows and up to a thousand variables.
I would say, on certain projects, most of what we do in R (if you look
at the number of lines in R we devote to a given task) is data
manipulation. The actual statistical method is frequently just a line
- all the rest is getting the data shaped right and then spitting out
the results of the analysis in a way that is usable (i.e.,
presentable).
I find R to be excellent in data manipulations that we perform. First
of all, it's great that you can always grab variables/cases you need
and ignore all the rest. In SPSS you just keep staring at all those
data and variables that you don't need - trying to find the one you
need.
Second - I find R to be incredibly fast (as opposed to SPSS or Excel)
with the amounts of data we are dealing with.
And third - nothing is "written in stone" and your original data is
always untouched - you can always read it in again and again. For
example, if I create a new variable and make a mistake, I can always
fix the code, rerun that piece of the code and that gives me the
corrected object that containes that new variable. I never touch the
original data and hence - never "spoil" it.

Dimitri