[R] Rmysql linking to an old-ish mysql build

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 9 19:17:41 CEST 2009

This topic is usually covered on R-sig-db, so its archives will give
more information (and as I recall, so would the R-help archives, not
least in pointing you to R-sig-db).

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Jose Quesada wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get Rmysql to work o windows server 2008 64-bit.
>> I have the latest build of mysql installed (mysql-5.1.34-winx64).
>

> Independent of the version number of MySQL (which is less than 6 months old):
> If you are talking about the RMySQL binary build on CRAN: It is build against
> a 32-bit version of MySQL. I am not sure if there is a safe way to build a
> binary that properly links against 64-bit MySQL given you are running 32-bit
> R.

MySQL is a client-server system: this will work if you have a 32-bit
MySQL client DLL and arrange for RMySQL to find it (as a 32-bit client
can talk to a 64-bit server).  That client DLL needs to be more or
less the same MySQL version as RMySQL was built against (and what
'more or less' means is determined by trial-and-error: there is no
guarantee whatsoever that any other version will work, and even single
patch-level differences have results in crashes).

> If there is, you have to install the package from sources yourself anyway.

That is in any case the safest thing to do.