[R] Beyond double-precision?

joaks1 joaks1 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 09:13:13 CEST 2009

Yes, all of the numbers are positive.  I actually have a Bayesian posterior
sample of log likelihoods [i.e. thousands of ln(likelihood) scores].  I want
to calculate the harmonic mean of these likelihoods, which means I need to
convert them back into likelihoods [i.e. e^ln(likelihood)], calculate the
harmonic mean, and then take the log of the mean.  I have done this before
in Mathematica, but I have a simulation pipeline written almost entirely in
R, so it would be nice if I could do these calculations in R.

If R cannot handle such small values, then perhaps there's a way to
calculate the harmonic mean from the log likelihood scores without
converting back to likelihoods?  I am a biologist, not a mathematician, so
any recommendations are welcome!  Thanks! -Jamie