[R] Vim R plugin-2

Jose Quesada quesada at gmail.com
Sat May 9 14:22:35 CEST 2009

Jakson Alves de Aquino wrote:
> Jose Quesada wrote:
>
>> I'll try to look at it and see if I can port it so it works on windows.
>> But the
>> current communication method I use there are just the clipboard, not sure if
>> it'll be possible.
>>

> Unfortunately, I cannot help on Windows environment.
>

>> Any alternative ways of sending info both ways from R to any open
>> process (vim)
>> in windows?
>>

> Netbeans could be a fast and portable route for communication between R
> and vim without the need of using either pipes or files saved in disk as
> intermediary. Typing ":help netbeans" in vim should show netbeans
> documentation. R also has TCP support: write.socket(), read.socket(),
> etc. We could begin to explore this route...

Great finding!
I wish I had more time to dedicate to this.

Have you seen:
http://pyclewn.wiki.sourceforge.net/features+

In my view, R as a language is very good but the tools around it are not
good.
When a matlab person tries R, their first comments are always how poor
the environment is.
Sure, one can have a debugger (with a crappy GUI in TK), and there's
some editor support, but it's kind of painful.

Integreting an R debugger with something like pyclewn would be very good.

Best,
-jose

--
Jose Quesada, PhD.