[R] RGoogleDocs

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Fri May 8 20:25:43 CEST 2009

Robert Schneider wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm not certain if this is the correct list where to post this question, or if it ought to be on the R developper one... I am trying to use the RGoogleDocs package to import into R the spreadsheets on my Google docs account. I downloaded the latest package (0.2.0) and installed it. I can get a connection going, but it seems that I can only get a doc one...

This is the correct list. And it is best to email the author of the
package first.

> Here is the code I am using:
>
>> library(RGoogleDocs)
>
>> auth = getGoogleAuth("loginName", "psswrd", service="wise")
>
>> sheets.con = getGoogleDocsConnection(auth)
>
>> a <- getDocs(sheets.con)
>
> I get the following error:
>
> Error in checkSlotAssignment(object, name, value) :
>   assignment of an object of class "NULL" is not valid for slot "access" in an object of class "GoogleSpreadsheet"; is(value, "character") is not TRUE

This turns out to be a simple case of the feedLink/access information
not always being present in the resulting  XML returned via the query.

A new version of the package is on the Omegahat repository that fixes
this.  Thanks for pointing it out.

  D.