[R] graph resolution windows (dpi) using x11 device

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at wzw.tum.de
Fri May 8 15:07:23 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 01:45:22PM +0100, Marta M. Rufino wrote:
> "Error in system(paste(gsexe, "-help"), intern = TRUE, invisible = TRUE)
> : gswin32c.exe not found"
> I think would need "|ghostscript|" (in the help file:
>
> "You will need |ghostscript|: the full path to the executable can be set
> by the environment variable R_GSCMD. (If this is unset the setting of
> GSC is used, otherwise command |"gswin32c.exe"|, which will work if it
> is in your PATH.)"

So downloading and installing ghostscript should fix that:

http://www.ghostscript.com

> The problem is that they want the A and B fig. together mounted, and
> both of them are so complex (to start with, one is lattice and the
> other is multi-panel grid plot) that I cannot mount it in R. I
> don't know how to do it with postcript (mount two figures in the
> same page, besides I only have acrobat), so I was using GIMP with
> Tiff... but, there is the resolution problem :-(

I would avoid using TIFF for self-created graphs and illustrations, anyway.

Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw should be able to handle that. On my
Linux system I'd use xfig for that task and there seems to be a Windows
port:

http://www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig/

Inkscape should also work:

http://www.inkscape.org

Another free alternative would be OpenOffice Draw which should be
able to import eps graphics and is definitly capable of producing pdf
output.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl für Genomorientierte Bioinformatik