[R] graph resolution windows (dpi) using x11 device

Marta M. Rufino marta.rufino at ineti.pt
Fri May 8 12:34:43 CEST 2009

Dear list members,

After looking in the www, I found this subject has been in discussion
previously on the mailing list, although I could not solve it. I also
found two wikis, but similarly, could not reach a conclusion.

I need to re-produce my figures with 1200 dpi, in tiff format, for a
journal (off course :-s).
I am working on windows xp professional, R version 2.7.1, using x11 to
open device and do the graphs. Than, I generally use both print.plot or
savePlot, but nether permitted me to change the resolution...

When I do it through tiff() function, the graph produced is very
different from the one plotted on the current device (similar to pdf,
eps, etc.). The graphs are a bit complex, have many variables, parts and
bits, legends, etc. so it would be important to save as it is observed
in the current windows device...

So, I have two questions:

1. Is there any way to save the graph done in the open x11 device with
greater resolution than 72dpi?

2. Is there any way to change this default under windows, so that from
now on every time I do a figure, it will be with greater resolution (I
image it should be possible through windows.options... but no ideia how)?

Any help, will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Best wishes,
Marta