[R] Help with lme4 model specification

boeinguy2 boeinguy2 at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 23:29:48 CEST 2009

I am new to R and am trying to specify a model for mixed model analysis.
When I run the following model I get an error:

AAT<- lmer(Y ~ S + A + (1|S:A/H), data=AT, REML=True)

The error looks like this:

Error in Spar_loc:`:` : NA/NaN argument
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In model.matrix.default(mt, mf, contrasts) :
  variable 'Spar_loc' converted to a factor
2: In Spar_loc:`:` :
  numerical expression has 720 elements: only the first used

I am having trouble specifying th random component.  It should reflect the
random term as H nested within the interaction of S & A.  What am I doing
wrong?