[R] rmysql query help

Aaron Sims aaron_sims at ncsu.edu
Wed May 6 21:47:07 CEST 2009

R HELP,

I am trying to use an R script to connect to a mysql database.  I am
having a problem using a variable in the where clause that contains a
"space" in its value.
If I include the variable inside the quotes of the query - i think it is
searching for the name of the variable in the database and not the value
of the variable.
If I put it outside the quotes, then it complains about the space.  Are
there special escape characters or something else Im missing?  This date
format in a mysql table is pretty standard
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

require(RMySQL)
startdatetime<-"2009-04-04 01:00:00"
connect <-
dbConnect(MySQL(),user="xxxxx",password="xxxxxx",dbname="xxxxx",host="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx")

forecast <- dbSendQuery(connect, statement=paste("SELECT ICE FROM table1
WHERE BEGTIME >= 'startdatetime'")) # doesnt read variable
 or
forecast <- dbSendQuery(connect, statement=paste("SELECT ICE FROM table1
WHERE BEGTIME >="startdatetime))  # space error

but this seems to work
forecast <- dbSendQuery(connect, statement=paste("SELECT ICE FROM table1
WHERE BEGTIME >='2009-04-04 01:00:00'"))