[R] Cox Proportional Hazard with missing covariate data

Philipp Rappold philipp.rappold at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:21:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

Arthur, thanks a lot for your super-fast reply!

In fact I am using the time when the part has been used for the first time, so your example should work in my case.
Moreover, as I have time-variant covariates, the example should look like this in my specific case:

start	stop	status	temp	humid
5	6	0	32	43
6	7	1	34	42

Just two more things:
(1) I am quite a newbie to cox-regression, so I wonder what you think about the approach that I mentioned above? Don't worry, I won't nail you down to this, just want to make sure I am not totally "off track"!
(2) I don't think that you'd call this "left-truncated" observations, because I DO know the time when the part was used for the first time, I just don't have covariate values for its whole time of life, e.g. just the last two years in the example above. Left truncation in my eyes would mean that I did not even observe a specific part, e.g. because it has died before the study started.

Again, thanks a lot, I'll be happy to provide valuable help on this list as soon as my R-skills are advancing.

All the best
Philipp