[R] can install.packages() copy utility files to the public_html directory ?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon May 4 16:55:27 CEST 2009

Markus Loecher wrote:
> Dear fellow R-users,
> I am about to publish an HTML utility package to CRAN that expands on the
> R2HTML package and includes a few goodies such as sorted tables, easy
> automation of framed HTML reporting, etc.
> However, some of the resulting dynamic HTML pages need to access JavaScript
> code that should sit in a specific subdirectory of public_html.
> My more general question is hence, (i) how do I include the directory
> containing the JavaScript code in my R package and

Yes, in directory ./inst/JavaScript for example that is copied to
./JavaScript during installation of the package.

> (ii) is it possible to
> copy this directory to the user's public_html path during installation ?

Yes, if it is a source package (not for a binary package), BUT you
should not write such code that copyies files to a directory different
than the package's directory in the library that it is installed to.
Things that install files to suprising locations are sometimes
considered to be some kind of malware.

Uwe Ligges