[R] is there a way to read a specific column from a txt file

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun May 3 19:56:00 CEST 2009

The sqldf package can read in a column without reading the
entire file into R.  It will automatically set up a database for you
read the file into the database (all this without going through R)
and then it will extract the column you want.
You will need two statements. One to define which
file to use and one to read in the file and extract the column.
See example 6b on the sqldf home page: http://sqldf.googlecode.com