[R] Extracting Element from S4 objects

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun May 3 13:53:33 CEST 2009

On May 2, 2009, at 6:30 PM, tbigdeli wrote:

> Good point, I've updated since.
>
> Now, would solutions be specific to newer versions?

Who knows? I was just saying there might be difficulties in getting
anyone to actually test the specifics of your question.

>  I need to make a
> numerical comparison upon each iteration of independence_test().

So you are probably referring to the coin package?

> With
> chisq.test(), etc the output is as.list().

The output from what?

>  I imagine this difference is a
> reflection of the author's coding preferences.

The code is available. After package(coin), methods(independence_test)
reports three methods and
getAnywhere(independence_test.IndependenceProblem) produces the code
that does the dispatching to other specific methods. There are, of
course, methods for extracting components of S4 objects. If you post
the code that you are using, then people may have answers to questions
which at the moment are highly non-specific.

> Now, I could code a Cochran-Armitage trend test but that wouldn't do
> our
> great support community justice now, would it? :)

Now that is a bit elliptical, isn't it? If you want to see how Agresti
and Thompson might to it, consult page  81 of "R (and S-PLUS) Manual
to Accompany Agresti’s Categorical Data Analysis (2002) 2nd edition"
Laura A. Thompson, 2007:
https://home.comcast.net/~lthompson221/Splusdiscrete2.pdf

--
David.