[R] postscript printer breaking up long strings

cameron.bracken cameron.bracken at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:00:47 CEST 2009

Ted.Harding-2 wrote:

> In the graph shown in your URL above, the xlab and the ylab
> appear in their entirety, unbroken. So does the one plotted
> in the middle of the graph. I get the same when I run your code.

Hi-

I am one of the developers of pgfSweave. The problem (although it is
considered a feature) is this (from https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/NEWS):

NEW FEATURES (in 2.9.0)

    o	pdf() and postscript() gain a 'useKerning' argument to place
	strings using kerning (which had previously been ignored in
	display but not in strwidth), based in part on an idea and
	code from Ei-ji Nakama. The default is TRUE.

	Kerning involving spaces is now ignored (it was previously
	only used in the computation of string widths).

This is normally not a problem but converting to pgf and then to pdf causes
large gaps when the useKerning option is turned on. The following will cause
the long strings to not break.

  postscript('linebreaktest.eps',useKerning=FALSE)
  plot(1,xlab='aReallyLongStringToSeeHowItBreaks',
         ylab='aReallyLongStringToSeeHowItBreaks')
  for(i in c(.6,1,1.4))text(i,i,'aReallyLongStringToSeeHowItBreaks')
  dev.off()

Kerning will be turned off by default in the latest snapshot of pgfSweave.

-Cameron Bracken