[R] CV and GCV for finding smoothness parameter

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 22:10:33 CEST 2009

`gam' in package `mgcv' will let you supply any smoothing parameter you want
(via argument `sp') and will get the  fit and corresponding GCV score for you
(`gcv.ubre' in the `gam' object). The CV score you'd have to calculate
yourself, but `influence.gam' will extract the necessary H_ii. See the
examples in ?smooth.construct for how to use the truncated polynomial basis
with mgcv:gam.