[R] How to generate natural cubic spline in R?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Mar 31 16:35:07 CEST 2009

Hello:

      If B-splines will suffice, there are many capabilities in R for
that.  My favorite is the 'fda' package, but 'splines' and other
packages are also good.

      The "splinefun" function in the "base" package returns a function
to compute spline interpolations optionally using a natural spline.
However, that is an interpolation spline and therefore does no smoothing.

      To find other options for natural splines, I suggest you try the
CRAN packages splines, mboost, pspline, Design, and mgcv.  I found them
using the "RSiteSearch" packages available from R-Forge via
'install.packages("RSiteSearch", repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")',
which also identified the "siggenes" package (which is not on CRAN).  I
don't know if any of these actually use natural splines, but this gives
you a reasonably short list to consider.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves
p.s.  The following are the commands I used with the "RSiteSearch"
package:

library(RSiteSearch)
natSpl <- RSiteSearch.function('natural spline')
str(natSpl)
summary(natSpl)

natSpl[1:23, c(1, 4, 5, 7)]