[R] Convert Character to Date

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Tue Mar 31 09:28:46 CEST 2009

If you want the vector to be a Date you need to specify a date at least down to the day.  Otherwise the date is not well defined and becomes <NA> as you noted.

Perhaps the easiest thing is to give it a particular day of the month, e.g. the first, or the 15 (the "ides"), or ...

> x <- as.Date(paste("1990-January", 1, sep="-"), format = "%Y-%B-%d")
[1] 1990-01-01

Now if you want to display the date suppressing the dummy day, you can

> y <- format(x, "%Y-%B")
[1] "1990-January"

Bill Venables
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/