[R] 64 bit compiled version of R on windows

Vadlamani, Satish {FLNA} SATISH.VADLAMANI at fritolay.com
Mon Mar 30 18:46:52 CEST 2009

Hi:
1) Does anyone have experience with 64 bit compiled version of R on windows? Is this available or one has to compile it oneself?
2) If we do compile the source in 64 bit, would we then need to compile any additional modules also in 64 bit?

I am just trying to prepare for the time when I will get larger datasets to analyze. Each of the datasets is about 1 GB in size and I will try to bring in about 16 of them in memory at the same time. At least that is the plan.

I asked a related question in the past and someone recommended the product RevolutionR - I am looking into this also. If you can think of any other options, please mention. I have not been doing low level programming for a while now and therefore, the self compilation on windows would be the least preferable (and then I have to worry about how to compile any modules that I need). Thanks.

Thanks.
Satish