[R] Constrined dependent optimization.

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:22:28 CEST 2009

Image you want to minimize the following linear function

    f <- function(x) sum( c(1:50, 50:1) * x / (50*51) )

on the set of all permutations of the numbers 1,..., 100.

I wonder how will you do that with lpSolve? I would simply order
the coefficients and then sort the numbers 1,...,100 accordingly.

I am also wondering how optim with "SANN" could be applied here.

As this is a problem in the area of discrete optimization resp.
constraint programming, I propose to use an appropriate program
here such as the free software Bprolog. I would be interested to
learn what others propose.

Of course, if we don't know anything about the function f then
it amounts to an exhaustive search on the 100! permutations --
probably not a feasible job.

Regards,  Hans Werner