[R] Constrined dependent optimization.

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Mon Mar 30 15:14:44 CEST 2009

rkevinburton at charter.net wrote:
> I am sorry but I don't see the connection. with SANN and say 3
> variables one of the steps may increment x[1] by 0.1. Not only is
> this a non-discrete integer value but even if I could coerce SANN to
> only return discrete integer values for each step in the optimization
> once x[1] was set to say 2 I would have to search the other
> "variables" for a value of 2 and exchange x[1] and which ever
> variable was two so as to maintain the property that each variable
> has a unique discrete value constained from 1 : number of varables.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kevin

  If you look more closely at the docs for method="SANN" (and
the examples), you'll see that SANN allows you to pass the
"gradient" argument (gr) as a custom function to provide the
candidate distribution.  Here's an example:

N <- 10
xvec <- seq(0,1,length=N)
target <- rank((xvec-0.2)^2)

objfun <- function(x) {