[R] Burt table from word frequency list

Alan Zaslavsky zaslavsk at hcp.med.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 30 14:05:11 CEST 2009

Maybe not terribly hard, depending on exactly what you need.  Suppose you
turn your text into a character vector 'mytext' of words.  Then for a
table of words appearing delta words apart (ordered), you can table mytext
against itself with a lag:

nwords=length(mytext)
burttab=table(mytext[-(1:delta)],mytext[nwords+1-(1:delta)])

Add to its transpose and sum over delta up to your maximum distance apart.
If you want only words appearing near each other within the same sentence
(or some other unit), pad out the sentence break with at least delta
instances of a dummy spacer:

     the cat chased the greedy rat SPACER SPACER SPACER the dog chased the
     clever cat

This will count all pairings at distance delta; if you want to count only
those for which this was the NEAREST co-occurence (so

     the cat and the rate chased the dog

would count as two at delta=3 but not one at delta=6) it will be trickier
and I'm not sure this approach can be modified to handle it.