[R] re form data for aov()?

Dan Kelley kelley.dan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 17:50:40 CEST 2009

I have data in a file named hands.dat, which is given at the end of this
question.  (It's from a stats textbook example on anova).  I'd like to do an
aov on this, which I guess would be

d <- read.table("~/hands.dat", header=TRUE)

aov(Bacterial.Counts ~ Water + Soap + Antibacterial.Soap + Alcohol.Spray,
data=d)

but this fails.  Do I need to break d$Method up into columns for each
category, with boolean entries?  Or is there a way to do this more cleanly?

Data file (hands.dat)
============

Bacterial.Counts        Method
74      Water