[R] Competing risks Kalbfleisch & Prentice method

Eleni Rapsomaniki er339 at medschl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 27 15:44:19 CET 2009

Dear Prof. Therneau,

Thank you for your views on this subject. I think all R users who play
with survival analysis are most grateful for the functions you have
already supplied us with.

I'm guessing Ravi is wondering why you have not implemented the
smoothing of the baseline hazard from the Cox model.

I actually tried to do this originally, inspired from this thread (i.e
use sm.spline to smooth the hazard):
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2004-July/053843.html

but it overestimated the CI (perhaps I implemented it wrong). I was then
advised to treat CI as a step function, rather than continuous, which
means that F(t+1, cause k)-F(t, cause k) will be 0 unless an event of
cause k has occurred in that interval (see also "Competing Risks, by
Melanie Pintilie, page 62). This is obviously problematic if one wants
to estimate the CI at times that are not close to observed events for
either cause (perhaps a parametric model could be used in this case).
But then again, this was not an issue wtih my data.

Eleni Rapsomaniki
 Research Associate
Strangeways Research Laboratory
Department of Public Health and Primary Care
University of Cambridge