[R] use of "@" character in variable name

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 27 02:53:08 CET 2009

Dear Mike,

As a slight simplification, a legal R name can start with a period (.),
upper- or lower-case letter (A-Z, a-z), and can contain periods, underscores
(_), letters, and numerals; depending upon the locale, some other characters
may also be allowed. This information *is* in the R manuals, though it might
not be that easy to locate: See section 10.3.2 of the R Language Definition
manual or 1.8 of the Introduction to R manual.

@ is used to access slots in an S4 object.

I hope this helps,
 John

On