[R] package installation on OSX --- suggestion

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 16:20:26 CET 2009

dear R experts:

I am trying to install packages in OSX, R 2.8.1.  Since I do this
about every 2 years, I have completely forgotten it.  However, this
should not be difficult:

   http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:packages

nice document.  beautiful method.  so, I start with

   update.packages()

the final message tells me that it saved all the packages into
/var/folders/Ia/IaQbr8K+GQ8DqdaGMAC18++++yU/-Tmp-/RtmpjRkMV7/downloaded_packages/
.  not exactly user-friendly.  at this point, I don't know whether
they were also installed or just downloaded.  the same happens when I
do an install.package("plm", dependencies=T).  would it not make sense
if the package were installed in the standard R library location at
this point, and the final message to tell me that the package was
indeed installed, and not about the temporary directory?

[I suspect that it actually did the install, so this is just a "final
message" issue.]

just a suggestion...

[and thanks everybody for all the help yesterday.  now back to my moments.]

regards,

/ivo