[R] problem with "choose.files" command & interactive functions

Shay O'Farrell S.Ofarrell at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 14:09:17 CET 2009

Hi all,

I’m new to R, and I’m having a small but annoying problem with the
choose.files command, using version 2.8.1 in Windows XP. I am holding my
data text files in C:\\Data\\, and I’m writing a short script that first
resets the default directory to this directory, then allows me to
interactively select which text file to import and attach, using the
Windows widget. Here is my script:

setwd("C:\\Data\\")
data<-read.table(choose.files(),header=T,as.is=T)
attach(data)

If I copy and paste the script into R Editor (or directly into RGui) and
run it, it works perfectly. However, if have imported the script using
the Open Script button in RGui, then I have a glitch... when I run the
script, the widget looks in the last folder that I opened interactively
(i.e., the folder from which I imported my script file) instead of
looking in the new working directory. BUT... if I run line 3 again
straight after, it works perfectly the second time. What am I doing
wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shay