[R] Green and Byar (1980) Prostate Cancer Data set from Andrews and Herzberg - Data

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Mar 25 14:03:06 CET 2009

Ravi Varadhan wrote:
> Fine detective work, David.  Now, you can see the reasons for my frustration - multiplicity of data sets combined with non-existent documentation of the source of data in journal articles (e.g. Kay 1986; Lunn and McNeil 1995).
>
> Best,
> Ravi.

Yes that is a big frustration for me, even for projects for which I was
the principal statistician in 1990 for which I did a poor job of
archiving excellent medical datasets for future use.  This is a big
advertisement for the reproducible research movement.

David - fantastic job.  Based on what you found, the version on our web
site looks as good as any.  Now if someone can explain to me why you see
a spike near a serum prostate acid phosphatase (AP) value of 1 when you
use a flexible regression model (e.g., restricted cubic spline) to
relate AP to the log hazard of death in a survival model (see p. 518 in
my book), that would be very helpful.

If you do with(prostate,plot(supsmu(log(ap),1*(status!='alive')))) you
see a minimum at ap=2.37 after anti-logging.  If you do

dd <- datadist(prostate); options(datadist='dd')
f <- cph(Surv(dtime,status!='alive') ~ rcs(log(ap),6), data=prostate)
plot(f)

you see a sharp minimum at ap=1.43.  With 4 knots the min is a 1.18.
You have to go to 3 knots to get a monotonic fit in log(ap) but AIC is
not as good.

Frank