[R] Syntax in lmer...

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Mar 23 10:19:16 CET 2009

Dear Anne,

Is age a continuous or a categorical variable? If it is a continuous
variable, then I would add it to the fixed effects.

You have two options for the random effect: (Fertilier|Family/Species)
or (1|Family/Species) + (0 + Fertilizer|Family/Species). Both yield a
random intercept and a random slope along Fertilizer. But the main
difference is the correlation between the random effects. The first
model allows for correlation between the random effect and the random
slope. Whereas the second model implies that they are independent.

This is what I would do to test for the interaction.
#If age is categorical
M0 <- lmer(RGR ~ Fertilizer * Status + (1|Age) + (1|Family/Species) + (0
+ Fertilizer|Family/Species), data=rgr, REML =  TRUE)
M1 <- lmer(RGR ~ Fertilizer * Status + (1|Age) + (1|Family/Species),
data=rgr, REML =  TRUE)
anova(M0, M1)

#If age is continuous
M0 <- lmer(RGR ~ Fertilizer * Status + Age + (1|Family/Species) + (0 +
Fertilizer|Family/Species), data=rgr, REML =  TRUE)
M1 <- lmer(RGR ~ Fertilizer * Status + Age + (1|Family/Species),
data=rgr, REML =  TRUE)
anova(M0, M1)

HTH,

Thierry

PS. The R-Sig-mixed models mailing list is better suited for questions
on lme4.

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey