[R] Fisher test problem

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Sun Mar 22 04:08:21 CET 2009

  by definition, the one tailed p-value has to be <= 0.5 so there is
still something wrong with your OpenEpi calc. Most likely it's
calculating the
2 tailed p-value  and then mistakenly multiplying by 2. For example:

A) Suppose you are testing

                                Ho: u = u_0
                                H1 u > u_0

and your t-stat was  -0.3 Then prob( T > t_0) = 0.62  so your pvalue
would be 0.62.

B) Instead, suppose you are testing

                                Ho: u = u_0
                                H1 u != u_0

and your t-stat was -0.3. Then, one calculates, prob(T  < t_0 = -.3) =
.31 and then multiplies by 2 ( because the test is 2 sided ) so the
pvalue is still 0.62.

So, it's probably doing the first case andf them multiplying it by 2
which is incorrect. Also, no offense intended but it's dangerous to use
these things
unless the understanding is there. In fact, it can be dangerous to use
them even when the understanding is there !!!!!!! Peter Daalgard's book
or John Verzani's book  are probably decent recommendations to read for
the above kind of thing but an introduction to statistical testing
textbook is probably most useful. I can't think of a title at the
moment.