[R] Difference between gam() and loess().

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Mar 20 15:19:00 CET 2009

Good try, Kevin.  But that doesn't seem to do it.

set.seed(123)

x <- sort(runif(100))

y <- sin(4*pi*x) + rnorm(100, sd=0.2)

ans.lo2 <- loess(y ~ x, degree=2, span=0.75)

ans.gam2 <- gam(y ~ lo(x, degree=2, span=0.75))

summary(ans.lo2$fitted - ans.gam2$fitted) # larger differences, about 10%

ans.lo1 <- loess(y ~ x, degree=1, span=0.75)

ans.gam1 <- gam(y ~ lo(x, degree=1, span=0.75))

summary(ans.lo1$fitted - ans.gam1$fitted) # smaller differences, about 2-5 percent

I also tried a number of other things including changing the "family", and parameters in "loess.control", but to no avail.  I looked at the Fortran codes from both loess and gam.  They are daunting, to say the least. They are dense, and there are absolutely no comments whatsoever.  But one thing is clear - they are using different Fortran codes.

So, the best bet might be to get Trevor Hastie or Bill Cleveland to help you out.

But, before that:  why is this an issue, Rolf?  Is it important that these two results be identical?

Best,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,