[R] Multi-line texts in plots

baptiste auguie ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Mar 20 12:56:37 CET 2009

Hi,

it would help if you provided a minimal example.

Here is one approach I often use with the plotting package ggplot2,

parameters <- expand.grid(m=c(0, 1), s=seq(0.1, 1,length=10))

x <- seq(-5, 5, length=300)

foo <- function(m, s){
	data.frame(x=x, y=dnorm(x, m, s), m=factor(m), s=factor(s))
}

# construct a data.frame with all the data
results <- do.call(rbind, mapply(foo, m=parameters$m, s=parameters$s,
SIMPLIFY=F))

library(ggplot2)

p1 <- qplot(x, y, data=results, geom="line", colour=s, linetype=m)

p2 <- p1 + facet_grid(m~.)

results2 <- within(results, f  <-  factor(paste("m=", m,"; s=",  s)))

p3 <- qplot(x, y, data=results2, geom="line", colour=f)

p1 # note how the legend is constructed for you

p2 # clearest imho

p3 # with 20 levels it's not very readable

Hope this helps,

baptiste

On 20 Mar 2009, at 10:59, mauede at alice.it wrote:

> I am running a simulation many times changing one parameter each
> time and recording the outcome.
> I have to produce a plot to make a sense of the bunch of numbers I
> get from every run.
> My problem is to insert a multi-line text to keep track of which
> result correspond to which parameter values.
> A legend does not work in this case because I will plot 2 variables
> and the corresponding experimental values.
> So two curves on the same drawing as a result of the combination of
> 20 parameters.
> I may decide to place two plots on the same canvas but if so I will
> have to find the space for two 20-line texts ....
> In short, I wonder how I can insert a 20-line text on each plot. I
> browsed through the documentation of the par command
> but I could not find any helpful option.
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion.
> Maura
>

> tutti i telefonini TIM!
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Baptiste Auguié