[R] object size of a matrix and a list

Kyeongmi Cheon katie.cheon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 03:14:41 CET 2009

Hello,
My program calculates several variables at each iteration and some of them are

integers and the rest are numeric. When I save them into a matrix, all of them

are of numeric type, of course.

I'm trying to find a way to save time/memory of my program and I was thinking

that it might help to force some variables to be of integer type and the other

columns numeric type.

But when I actually tried it, I found it contrary. A list that has mixtures of

integers and doubles are larger in size than a matrix that has only doubles. Do

lists always take up more space than matrices if they have the same/similar

variables? I just want to know it for the sake of efficiency. Thank
you for your time.
Kyeongmi

My short test program is here:

   #matrix