[R] Describing clusters

Carlos J. Gil Bellosta gilbellosta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:27:26 CET 2009

Dear R-helpers,

I am writing to the list in order to inquire whether there exists any
R package or program that will help me "describe" clusters.

The situation is as follows:

1) I create some clusters (say, with any clustering method in R).

2) I want to "describe" and assign some kind of "label" to each of them.

In order to "label" each cluster, I want to compare the distribution
of the variables in each cluster with respect to the distribution of
the variables in the original dataset. I would like to do it
graphically, if possible. In this way I could review this output and
say: this cluster corresponds to, say, "older patients who were not
treated before", etc.

I am aware this is not sound scientific practice, but I am asked to do
something like that. I have some ideas about how to do it, but I would
like to know if I am walking on a well trodden path.

Best regards,

Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
http://www.datanalytics.com