[R] Non-Linear Optimization - Query

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:34:07 CET 2009

Hi Lars,

Consider the following problem:

max x + y

subject to

x^2 + y^2 =1.

The solution is obviously (x,y) = (sqrt(2) / 2, sqrt(2) / 2).

Now, consider the unconstrained maximization problem on the variables
x, y and lambda:

max x + y + lambda * (x^2 + y^2 - 1)

(Notice that the objective function here corresponds to the Lagrangian.)

Clearly, this second problem has no maximum.

These two simple examples should make evident that your strategy of
maximizing the Lagrangian does not lead necessarily to a solution.

What do you mean by "how do I construct my system of equations"? Do
you mean how to derive analytically the equations? Or do you mean how
to insert them into R?

Best,

Paul