[R] mixture models

Rita Gaio argaio at fc.up.pt
Mon Mar 16 10:19:18 CET 2009

Dear R users,
I want to apply latent class models (mixture models) with covariates in the
case of continuous and categorical variables.  My questions are the follow:
a) the only package in R that can handle mixture models with data of mixed
type is moc (which unfortunately was left orphaned recently); do you know of
any other?
b) I really need to incorporate covariates in my model; in the moc manual,
the author mentions it can handle covariates, but I am straggling with the
instructions. More precisely, I have:
     b.1) continuous covariates
     b.2) categorical (ordinal 2- and 3-level) variables
     b.3) continuous variables
and would like to consider the covariates conditional effect on the
probability of each latent class and
on the joint distribution of the (mixed type) variables within each class.

Has anyone ever tried to do a similar thing? If so, can I please borrow your
correspondent piece of code?

Thank you so much in advance.
Rita.