[R] read.xls question

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Mar 15 09:34:48 CET 2009

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Mathew, Abraham T wrote:

> I'm an R newbie and had a question about the read.xls function. I've heard that this is often not a reliable function to use for importing data. However, I have created numerous xls files which contain information about voter turnout and macroeconomic indicators in India. I'm writing a paper on the relationship between economic growth and voter turnout.
>
> This is the command I use:
>
> data <- read.xls("India.xls", header=TRUE)
>
> I get the following error message:
> Error: could not find function "read.xls"
>

> Anyone have ideas?
> Thanks,
> Abraham

Since you are a beginner it is possible you missed a couple of steps.
read.xls is part of the package xlsReadWrite so you need to first install
that package, which is only possible if you are using Windows. Then you
need to load the package with the command

library(xlsReadWrite)

Just checking on CRAN xlsReadWrite is not currently available. There is an
archived version available however.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055		Fax: +64 9 373 7018
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics