[R] Problem with figure size when embedding fonts

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Mar 14 19:51:05 CET 2009

Dear Colleagues:

I need to make a graphic that uses the Nimbus rather than Helvetica font
family so that the font can be embedded in the encapsulated postscript
file.  This is to satisfy a requirement from a journal for electronic
submission of figures.  I do the following:

postscript('lowess.eps', onefile=FALSE, pointsize=18, horizontal=FALSE,
            family='NimbusSan')
spar(mfrow=c(3,2))
. . .
dev.off()

At this point lowess.eps looks fine.  When I run:
embedFonts('lowess.eps') or
embedFonts('lowess.eps', options='-sPAPERSIZE=letter')

the figures are wider and the right panel of the 3x2 matrix of plots
expands past the paper edge.  Advice welcomed.

Thanks
Frank

platform       i486-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i486
os             linux-gnu
system         i486, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          8.1
year           2008
month          12
day            22
svn rev        47281
language       R
version.string R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)