[R] (RODBC) defining variable as text

baked Toast baked.toast at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 13:08:42 CET 2009

Dear all,

I use the RODBC package to import data from a Microsoft Access
database. When importing the different variables I use a marker, a
unique code which consists of a series of numbers starting with
several (not a fixed number) of zero's. Now the problem is that when I
want to import this data to R with the RODBC package (the used code is
displayed on the bottom of this message) it converts this marker to a
number and cuts of the starting zero's. Is there a possibility to
avoid this?

The code used for importing the data:

> library(RODBC)
> data <- odbcConnectAccess("testDB")