[R] compile under Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex) - Thanks
therneau at mayo.edu
Wed Mar 11 19:07:05 CET 2009
Thanks for the good replies.
1. "build-essential" -- this is likely the essential thing that I forgot. I
tend to leave running machines alone (for years at a time) so forget things like
this. My laptop is Fedore core 6 I think, when the prior laptop died. I did
remember bin-utils though.
2. "See the R Admin manual". I read that pretty closely looking for hints.
Perhaps the build-essential hint would be a good addition to the manual.
3. "'r-sig-debian' for Ubuntu questions": I never make that connection.
4. "Current binaries for R can be found at..." Also a good plan. But I may
need to build R-devel (for the ShortRead package in bioconductor, to deal with
Solexa sequencer data) so I wanted to work the bugs out.
5. "It worked for me" Useful too, since it told me it had to be something
SIMPLE that I had overlooked.
Thanks to Frank Harrell, Berwin Turlach, Chuck Taylor, Dirk Eddelbuettel,
Roland Rau, Kjetil Halvorsen.
More information about the R-help