[R] popular R packages

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Tue Mar 10 22:05:55 CET 2009

sue at xlsolutions-corp.com wrote:
>  Hi Spencer,
>
>  XLSolutions is currently analyzing r-help archived questions to rank
> packages for the upcoming R-PLUS 3.3 Professional version and we will be
> happy to share the outcome with interested parties. Please email
> dan at xlsolutions-corp.com

I would expect that the correlation between popularity on the one hand
and usefulness as well as quality to be relatively low.  If it was
possible to rate the downloaders in respect to "seriousness" and whether
they actually use the package for some sensible purpose I would be more
interested.  Consider a highly specialized and good quality package used
by a relatively small group of distinguished reseachers.  Would that
have a high rank?  No.  But important?  Possibly yes.

Tom

>  Regards -
>  Sue Turner
>  Senior Account Manager
>  XLSolutions Corporation
>  North American Division
>  1700 7th Ave
>  Suite 2100
>  Seattle, WA 98101
>  Phone: 206-686-1578
>  Email: sue at xlsolutions-corp.com
>  web: www.xlsolutions-corp.com

| Tom Backer Johnsen, Psychometrics Unit,  Faculty of Psychology |
| University of Bergen, Christies gt. 12, N-5015 Bergen,  NORWAY |
| Tel : +47-5558-9185                        Fax : +47-5558-9879 |
| Email : backer at psych.uib.no    URL : http://www.galton.uib.no/ |