[R] Help installing Kernlab: cannot find -lgfortran

azege azege at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 17:19:05 CET 2009

I am trying to install a package kernlab on Linux machine. After downloading and unpacking, installation goes through a number of C code compiles which ends with code linking, where error is generated as follows:

g++ -shared -Bdirect,--hash-stype=both,-Wl,-O1 -o kernlab.so brweight.o ctable.o cweight.o dbreakpt.o dcauchy.o dgpnrm.o dgpstep.o dprecond.o dprsrch.o dspcg.o dtron.o dtrpcg.o dtrqsol.o esa.o expdecayweight.o inductionsort.o kspectrumweight.o lcp.o misc.o msufsort.o solvebqp.o stringk.o stringkernel.o svm.o wkasailcp.o wmsufsort.o -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lRblas -lgfortran -lm -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lRlapack  -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortran
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I suppose compiler cannot find libgfortran, which is in /usr/lib64/ in my case. Does anyone know where I specify or how I pass this info to R. I suppose
there must be some UNIX environment variable or argument to install.packages

Thanks,
Andre