[R] reliability, scale scores in the psych package

William Revelle revelle at northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 10 17:03:42 CET 2009

Ista,
   As you figured out, psych reverses items by subtracting from the
maximimum + minimum possible for each item.  (i.e., for  items going
from 1 to 4, it reverses items by subtracting from 5).

If all of the items have the same potential range  then you can just
let it figure out the range by itself.  If they differ in their
ranges (some items are 0 - 1 items, some are 1-9 items, etc., then
you need to give it the maximum and minimum vectors to use.

The min and max are figured out from all the items used in an
inventory, rather than just the items used in a particular scale.
This makes particular sense when you are scoring multiple scales from
the same inventory.

In answer to your first question (what packages do I tend to use for
scale construction?), the answer is that I tend to use the psych
package for basic analysis, and then the sem package for structural
equation analysis.

Bill

--
William Revelle		http://personality-project.org/revelle.html